written by Ellen Rohr
Anna K. Jindra, daughter of Georg Jindra and Maria Lenhardt, was born 7 Feb 1887 in Mishicot. Anna was educated at the French Settlement School. For a number of years she was employed at the old Wisconsin House at Two Rivers. (see more about the Wisconsin House below) Prior to 1910 she also worked for the E.J. Vaudreuil family, prominent citizens of Two Rivers (see more about the E.J. Vaudreuil Family below)
She was married to Herman Stoer June 8, 1910, at Mishicot. Herman was born in the town of Two Rivers, Feb. 22, 1888, son of Joseph and Mary (Goedjen) Stoer. He attended the rural district school and St. John Parochial School. In early life he assisted his father on the family farm, but later moved to Two Rivers where he was employed as a moulder with Becker Mfg. Co (see more on Becker Mfg. below) for 47 years. He served a term of two years from 1956-1958 as supervisor of the Third Ward in Two Rivers.
The couple were active members of St. John Lutheran Church in Two Rivers. Herman served as trustee for 12 years and was appointed president for 11 out of those 12 years. Herman was a charter member of the Lutheran Men’s Club. Her husband died July 31, 1961. She was a member of the Ladies Society of St. John Church.
Herman H. Stoer died July 31 at his home after an illness of serveral months. He was 73 years old. Anna died in Nov 1964 at age 77. The couple are buried at Pioneers’ Rest Cemetery in Two Rivers.
On March 6, 1965, the residence of Anna and Hermann at 1814-29th St. Two Rivers was transfered to James G. Wichlacz for $1.
Name later changed to Washington House
The Washington House, as it is now named, was a three story public home which opened circa 1850. As the area’s first hotel, the Wisconsin House in Two Rivers, was the temporary home of many immigrants passing through on their way to their final destination.
Over the years it was owned and or operated by a number of people. In the operated by Christian Berger and his wife Mina (1860s). Henry Kappelmann’s prominent Two Rivers businessman was once proprietor of the inn.
The second floor of the house featured a dance hall. In 1902, when Joseph Reinert operated the establishment, he began renovations on the building and the size of the dance floor was doubled. In 1906 unknown painters were hired to paint beautiful murals on the walls depicting Wisconsin life. One of the murals was an image of George Washington. (probably where it got the name Washington House). The house was later purchased by the Falk family. Helen Falk Schmitt was unaware of the murals painted on the walls of the room her father used for storage until a reporter alerted her. In the 1990s the building was purchased by the Two Rivers Historical Society and rennovated. It is now the home of the Two Rivers Historical Society Museum.
Chief among food products originating in Manitowoc are canned vegetables and particularly peas. The establishment of this industry was due to Albert Landreth, an energetic seedsman, who in 1883 built a warehouse in Manitowoc. After many years spent in dealing in seed peas he conceived the idea of canning the sweet varieties of that vegetable for the market and built a factory for that purpose which commenced operation in 1890. His brands became famous and grew to enormous proportions. Several companies were formed to prosecute the business, among them the E.J. Vaudreuil Canning Co. (source: History of Manitowoc County, Ralph Plumb, 1904)
By 1910, Edward J. Vaudreuil moved his family to other parts of Wisconsin. Vaudreuil holds a patent #1351143 issued August 1920. His invention related to an apparatus for snipping the ends of bean pods for canning or other culinary purposes. The invention provided for the continuous feed of beans into the snipper so that the beans could be delivered to the next stage of processing without ends.
Becker Mfg. Co.
The Becker Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1919. The company started out making general castings and as an iron job shop. Over the years they manufactured items for many of the area businesses including Mirro, Hamilton Industries, and Kahlenberg Bros. Kahlenberg Brothers manufactured marine engines for many years. Kahlenberg is still in business and is located directly across the street from where the Becker facility was located. (Kahlenberg now manufacture products including marine air horns, industrial horns, wide area warning horns, truck horns, marine propellers, propeller shafts, and other specialized marine equipment.)
During World War 2, Becker had 11 employees and all of their manufacturing was dedicated to the war effort.
The foundry closed in the early 1970s due to changes in environmental law.
Source: Pete Bartelme article, 2001