written by Ellen M. Rohr
Joseph Jindra was born Feb 1868 in Bohemia, and died Aft. 1930. He married Mary K. Kohout. She was born Sep 1871 in Wisconsin, and died Aft. 1930.
Children of Joseph Jindra and Mary Kohout are:
- ??? Jindra, b. bef 1900 WI; d. bef 1900
- Harry A. Jindra, b. 12 Nov 1892 WI; d. Aug 1980 Sturgeon Bay, Door County, WI
- Joseph T. Jindra, b. 30 Jul 1894 Sheboygan, WI; d. 21 Jul 1918. D. in WWI
- Anna V. Jindra, b. 23 Feb 1897, WI,; d. 29 Jun 1968 Green Bay, Brown County, WI
- Clarence Jindra, b. 24 Sept. 1902 Door County, W; d. Nov 1942
- Vincent F. Jindra, b. 22 Aug 1909, WI; d. 17 Feb 1969, Lima Allen County, Ohio
In 1900 and 1910 the family appears in the Nasewaupee, Door, Wisconsin census.
notes by Michael Jindra
Joe Jindra had a tavern and dance hall on the corner of “S” and 42 south of Sturgeon Bay. Joe’s son, Vincent ,later took the tavern. Local dance halls and taverns provided much of the entertainment then, with live bands playing polka music. Some taverns served free lunches, and many people drank heavily in those days.