The Family of Ernest August Adolf Schmidt
Information for some of this tree was provided by Marilyn, other information was found on Ancestry.com on a family tree by djschmidtsj. Photos of some of the family members are included in the tree. Other information researched by Ellen.
Ernest August Adolf Schmidt, son of Johann Joachim Schmidt and Dorothea Elizabeth Gartz, was born on 3 Jan 1879 in Two Rivers, Manitowoc, Wisconsin and died on 10 Jan 1957 in Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio at age 78.Ernest was one of the co-founders of Schmidt Bros Construction Company, While supervising the construction of the Galena High School in 1905, he met his soon to be wife Lucile Brown Stryker. They were married in Galena on 21 Nov 1906 by a Methodist minister, Rev. Matlock. Lucile was born on 4 Oct 1881 in Galena, Jo Daviess, Illinois and died on 27 Apr 1964 in Illinois at age 82 from a stroke. They had three children: Ernest Franklin, Lucile Barbara, and Elizabeth Ann.
Both Ernest and Lucile are buried in Woodland Cemetery in Dayton, Ohio. According to their website, Woodland was founded in 1841, and it is one of five oldest rural/garden cemeteries in the United States. There are over 3,000 trees and 165 speciments of Midwestern woody plants on the 200 acres of rolling hills. Many of the trees on the property are over 100 years old. The chapel and office are on the National Register of Historic Places. See more about the cemetery at the website. Other burials in this cemetery include Erma Bombeck.
If visiting the graves they are buried in Section 126 Lot 235. Their daughter Elizabeth and her husband and infant child are buried next to them. The address of the cemetery is 118 Woodland Avenue, Dayton, OH 45409-2892 (937) 228-3221
Ernest and Lucile moved a fair amount while they were married. There places or residence are as follows:
- 558 Jefferson, Gary, Indiana from 1907-1910.
- 2032 Cullom, Chicago, IL from 1910-1913.
- 1837 Berteau, Chicago, IL from 1913-1916.
- 4228 N.Hermitage, Chicago Ward 26, Cook, Illinois from 1916-1939.
- 4630 N. Dover St., Chicago, IL from 1939-1940.
- 4303 N. Wolcott St., Chicago, IL from 1940-1945.
- 1526 Cory Drive, Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio from 1945-1951.
- 1442 Harvard Blvd, Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio from 1951 until his death.
Death Notice of Ernest as published in a Chicago newspaper, paper unknown.
Chicago Illinois. 1957 Schmidt Ernest Adolph Schmidt, died Jan. 10, 1442 Harvard boulevard, Dayton, O., husband of Lucille, nee Brown; father of Ernest F., Mrs. Lucile Barbara Nesbit (James R.), and Mrs. Elizabeth Schaefer (Frank W.); grandfather of six. funeral Saturday 2:30 p.m. at Whitmer chapel, 239 Ludlow street, Dayton, O. Please omit flowers.
Children of Ernest and Lucile:
- Ernest Franklin Schmidt was born on 19 Jul 1909 in Gary, Lake Co., IN and died on 20 Jan 1984 in Asnheville, Bundcombe Co., NC at age 74.He served in World War II before and after 1945. He served as a Colonel in occupied Japan. He kept a journal.
After his time in the military he worked as an Executive Director of the American Camping Association. He also worked for the Boy Scouts of America for many years.
Ernest was buried at the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church Cem. in Basking Ridge, Somerset, New Jersey. The Basking Ridge church was founded about 1717. The stone church was erected in 1839. There is large cemetery behind the church and a smaller one to the east of the church. There is a 600 year old oak tree that dominates the cemetery. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places. (See more about the church).
Ernest first married Mildred Elizabeth Weaver on 28 Mar 1935 in Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio. Mildred was born on 1 Aug 1909 in Owensville, Ohio and died on 6 Nov 1955 in Bernardsville, Somerset, New Jersey, USA at age 46.They had three children. Two daughters are now deceased.
Ernest next married Jean Louise Hoover on 3 May 1957. No further information is known on Jean Louise.
- Lucile Barbara Schmidt was born on 26 Feb 1914 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA and died on 4 Jan 2004 at age 89. She was known as Barbara. Barbara married James Robinson Nesbit on 23 Feb 1935. James was born on 20 Oct 1910 and died on 3 Oct 1997 in Fort Myers, Lee County, Florida at age 86. They were married for 63 years at the time of his death. They had one daughter, two grandchildren and two great grandchildren at the time of her death.
Barbara was raised in Chicago and attended Ravenswood Grade School, Lake View High School and Rockford College. They lived in Chicago and Winnetka, IL until 1978 when they retired to Islamorada, FL. In 1987 they moved to Shell Point Retirement Village in Fort Myers, FL. Barbara was an elder in the Presbyterian Church, active in service organizations and volunteered with the Red Cross in the 1940s. She enjoyed sewing, painting, fishing and traveling.
James was a manufacturer or Christmas ornaments and an officer of the Toy Manufacturers Association (now the Toy Industry Association, Inc.). He was a member of the Chapel by the Sea, Ravens Presbyterian Church, Winnetka Presbyterian Church and Coral Isles Church in Tavernier, Fla. he was a member of Rotary International, downtown chapter, an avid duck hunter and deep sea fisherman.
- Elizabeth Ann Schmidt was born on 23 Jul 1912 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois and died on 25 Apr 1979 in Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio at age 66.Elizabeth married Frank Wernli Schaefer on 22 Apr 1923 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois. Frank was born on 22 Oct 1909 and died on 28 Nov 1993 at age 84. The couple had at least one child that died at birth or shortly thereafter in 1948. They are buried at Woodland cemetery next to Elizabeth’s parents. (see above)