The Family of Louis Johan Schmidt
Louis Johan Schmidt, son of Johann Joachim Schmidt and Dorothea Elizabeth Gartz, was born on 12 Jun 1864 in Two Rivers, Manitowoc, Wisconsin and died in Jul 1932 at age 68. Louis’ given name was Johan Joachim Ludwig Schmidt. Ludwig is German for Louis. His name was also seen as Louis J. Schmidt.
Louis married Lena Schwake, daughter of Henry and Dorothy Schwake, in 1891 in the Town of Two Rivers, Manitowoc County, WI. Lena was born on 14 Jan 1865 in Rodden, Westphalia, Germany and died on 24 Jan 1946 in Two Rivers Municipal Hospital, Two Rivers at age 81. Louis and Lena are buried at the Pioneer Rest Cemetery in Two Rivers, Manitowoc County. Noted events in his life were:
- He had a residence in 1891 in Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin.
- He had a residence in 1910 in Two Rivers, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.
- He worked as a General Farmer in 1920 in Town of Two Rivers.
- In 1921 he was a farmer and breeder of Pure Bred Guernsey Cattle and Chester White Hogs at Cedar Spring Dairy Farm, Town of Two Rivers.
- He served as President of the Farmers Telephone Co. (prior to 1921)
- He was the School Treasurer for a few years.(prior to 1921)
- He also was a Road Overseer. (abt 1921)
They had two children: Wilhelm and Emma H. (or A).
- Wilhelm Schmidt was born on 18 Jan 1891 in Illinois. He married Malinda Broecker, 23 Jun 1924. The couple moved to Chicago. William was the godfather for Erhardt Meineke, youngest son of Charles Meineke and Minnie Schmidt. In the 1930 census we found a Wilhelm Schmidt married to Malinda. They have a female child with the name Gene although it is hard to read.
- He had a residence in 1930 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA.
- He worked as a Foreman Construction Co. in 1930. (probably the Schmidt Bros. Construction Company)
- He had a residence in 1946 in Elmhurst, Il.
- Emma H. (or A) Schmidt was born on 4 May 1894 in Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin and died on 19 May 1967 in Two Rivers at age 73. Emma married Henry L. Greenwood on 2 Dec 1916 in Manitowoc. Henry was born on 21 May1890 and died on 22 Aug 1989 at age 99. They had four children.
General Notes for Emma: Obituary as it appeared in the Manitowoc Herald Times (Manitowoc, Wisconsin) 1967 May 20 (edited for possible living)
Mrs. Henry (Emma) Greenwood, 74, of 1916 27th St., who died lateFriday evening at Two Rivers Municipal Hospital where she had been a
patient for nine weeks.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Rev. Paul Funk officiating. Burial will be in Forest View Cemetery.
Mrs. Greenwood, nee Emma Schmidt, was born May 4, 1893, at Sheboygan, a daughter of the late Louis J. and Lena (Schwake) Schmidt. When she was a child the family brought her to Two Rivers where she attended St. John Lutheran School and Two Rivers public schools. She was married to Henry Greenwood Dec. 2, 1916, at Manitowoc. The couple lived in South Bend, Ind., for five years and in 1922 came to Two Rivers. She was a charter member of Calvary Lutheran Church, a member of the Homemakers’ Club and a past member of the Cool City Garden Club.
Survivors include her husband; three daughters; one brother, William Schmidt of Elmhurst, Ill and 10 grandchildren. A daughter
Ruth preceded her in death.
Friends may call at the Deja and Martin Funeral Chapels, Two Rivers, after 3 p.m. Sunday until 10:30 a.m. Monday when the casket will be
taken to the church.
Memorials may be made to Calvary Church or the Wisconsin Cancer Research Dept.
Manitowoc Herald Times (Manitowoc, Wisconsin) 1967 May 23
Funeral services for Mrs. Henry (Emma) Greenwood, 74, of 1916 27th St., who died Friday, were at 2 p.m. Monday at Calvary Evangelical
Lutheran Church, the Rev. Paul Funk officiating. Burial was in Forest View Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Harold and Erhardt Meineke, Edgar Steggmann, Walter Nocker, Alvin Goedjen and Bernard Schwake.